WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont Rt 4 to Hanover

I'm considering a hike from Vt Rt 4 to Hanover over the 3rd or 4th week of May. Anyone know the mud situation in that section? Anything else in that area that would be good to know?
    Thanks!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I assume that section would be much like Vermont the other 40-some weeks of hiking season: absurdly muddy.

On the bright side, it is the best section of Vermont. Rolling terrain thru land once farms. There are plenty of stone walls in the forest indicative of fields abandoned more than a century ago. Somewhere is an observation platform about .4 from the trail. Plenty of water. Enjoy your hike.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Mud season trail closures in VT typically lasts through to Memorial Day weekend. The Green Mountain Club posts trail closings on their website (https://www.greenmountainclub.org/hiking/trail-updates/), however weather events being what they are, you may want to drop an email to the website and ask about your route specifically for real-time information.

Good luck!

Images

That's a nice section. The elevations are lower than in the Green Mountain National Forest to the west and the shelters are spaced a leisurely day's walk apart. There are a few steep climbs, but they're pretty short. Highly recommend the ~1 mile detour to Teago General Store in South Pomfret.

Finish with a milkshake at Lou’s in Hanover.

Bring DEET and a headnet. May is peak black fly season, if the black flies are not out, the mosquitoes move in. The standard advise is they come to visit on Mothers day and leave around Fathers day.

Stick with DEET or Picaridin. DEET is most effective around 25 to 30% concentration, any higher and it does not work any better, while the side effects of dissolving plastics (like nylon based camping gear) get worse. 3M Ultrathon is what I use as it last longer.

If you are a shelter user, pencil in the Lookout. "Private" shelter open to all. Great view, 4 walls. No water or privy. Warms up nicely with 5-6 people in it. Probably could sleep couple dozen in a pinch.

Images

As noted earlier, beautiful terrain but numerous PUDS.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Bring DEET and a headnet. May is peak black fly season, if the black flies are not out, the mosquitoes move in. The standard advise is they come to visit on Mothers day and leave around Fathers day.

Stick with DEET or Picaridin. DEET is most effective around 25 to 30% concentration, any higher and it does not work any better, while the side effects of dissolving plastics (like nylon based camping gear) get worse. 3M Ultrathon is what I use as it last longer.
    Great advise! I was thinking black season was a couple of weeks later. Thanks!!

They are just coming out in the Whites. They weren't biting aggressively yet but the dinnerbell is getting rung. Keep in mind black flies are "trout food" they are very picky breeders and will only breed in cold clear streams. Nice thing to think about as they try to rip small chunks of your flesh out of your hide They tend to be out in the warmest part of the day and then as it cools down they go less active and the mosquitoes come to visit.

++ New Posts ++